Prince George’s County Man, 19, freed after 7 months in jail; robbery testimony at odds

[Total: 0    Average: 0/5]

After 7 months in jail; robbery testimony at odds

By Ruben Castaneda

Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, January 9, 2010

For nearly four hours in June, Eric W. Johnson insisted to Prince George’s County police detectives that the two armed robbery victims who had identified him as a culprit were wrong, that he was innocent.

For seven months, Johnson, 19, remained in the county jail in Upper Marlboro, awaiting a jury’s decision on charges of armed robbery, first-degree assault, using a handgun in a crime of violence, 17 offenses in all, carrying the possibility of decades of prison time.

The jury never weighed in. On Thursday, before what would have been the second day of Johnson’s trial, Assistant State’s Attorney Ada Clark-Edwards dropped all charges against Johnson.

About seven hours later, he was released from the jail and celebrated by devouring a Big Mac meal at a McDonald’s restaurant.

“I think the criminal justice system works in wrong ways,” Johnson said in an interview less than two hours after he was freed. “I’m completely innocent.”

Clark-Edwards referred questions to Ramon Korionoff, a spokesman for State’s Attorney Glenn F. Ivey. Korionoff said the state dropped the charges because its two key witnesses were contradictory in their testimony and prosecutors no longer had confidence in their case.

For example, one of the victims, Lillian Hall, testified that the attacker she thought was Johnson had dark skin. Johnson is light-complexioned, defense attorneys Andrew Jezic and David Moyse said. The other victim, Timothy Flemmings, told police that the attacker he thought was Johnson hit him in the head with a gun; on the witness stand, Flemmings did not remember that, the attorneys said.

It is highly unusual for prosecutors to drop charges against a criminal defendant in the middle of a trial. In July 2006, Prince George’s prosecutors dropped double-murder charges against Edgar “L.A.” Reyes when cellphone records provided by a homicide detective during the trial cast doubt on the veracity of the state’s lone witness.

At the outset of the Johnson trial, Hall and Flemmings took the stand and testified that Johnson was one of several men who robbed them at gunpoint about 10:30 p.m. June 7 in the 5600 block of Auth Road in Suitland.

According to police charging documents, one victim, Flemmings, surrendered a cellphone and an iPod. Hall gave the robbers her purse, her wallet and $22 in cash. A third victim, a woman, gave up her purse and wallet.

Johnson’s hairstyle — he wears dreadlocks — is a reason he became a suspect, Jezic and Moyse said. The victims of that robbery said one of the attackers had dreadlocks and a cap.

About 5 1/2 hours after the Auth Road robbery, about 4 a.m. June 8, police were called to the scene of a robbery about five miles away, Jezic said. Johnson, who had been out at a nightclub, was spotted walking with two other men about six blocks from that robbery, Jezic said. The victim of the later robbery was brought to the street where Johnson and his friends were detained and said Johnson was not his attacker, Jezic said.

Nonetheless, detectives put Johnson’s picture in a photo array, and Hall and Flemings identified him as one of the men who had robbed them. The third victim said she could not identify anyone from the photo array.



FREE CONSULTATION

(240)292-7200

Locations

Awards

  • Theft Suspects Target Victim at Medical Office Building
    Detectives today released surveillance video of three suspects wanted in connection with a theft and the use of a stolen credit card. The preliminary investigation reveals the suspects targeted the victim while she was visiting a medical office building at 7350 Van Dusen Road in Laurel. The theft occurred on May 15th. Detectives believe additional […]
  • WANTED WEDNESDAY
    Surveillance Video of Suspect Committing Armed RobberyOur Robbery Unit detectives are working to identify and arrest this man. He’s wanted in connection with two armed robberies in the past week. In this surveillance video, the suspect is seen walking into a business in the 7900 block of Annapolis Road in Lanham on June 8th at […]
  • PGPD Searches For Missing Man
    George Johnson Sr.The Prince George’s County Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in searching for a missing man. He is 66-year-old George Johnson Sr.Johnson was last seen in the 9300 block of Grandhaven Avenue in Upper Marlboro on February 26th at about 11:30 pm.Johnson is described as an African American male, 6’00” and 150 pounds. He […]
  • The Signs Are Up! Thieves Should Consider Themselves Warned
    SmartWater Neighborhoods Are On Display  This weekend, multiple communities throughout Prince George’s County  displayed warning signs to would-be-thieves. These signs clearly identify that SmartWater technology is in use throughout the community. The technology, created by SmartWater out of the United Kingdom,  allows residents to mark their personal belongings with a liquid containing a unique forensic code.Once […]
  • PGPD Searches For Missing Man
    Update 06/12/17: Mr. Jones has been safely located and reunited with his family. Dana Eugene JonesThe Prince George’s County Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in searching for a missing man. He is 53-year-old Dana Eugene Jones.Jones was last seen in the 5200 block of 85th Place in New Carrollton on June 4that about noon.Jones is […]
  • Two Suspects in Custody for Homicide in Langley Park
    Julio MurilloOscar ChocThe Homicide Unit arrested and charged two suspects for a recent fatal shooting in Langley Park. They are 27-year-old Oscar Choc of the 8100 block of New Hampshire Avenue and 34-year-old Julio Murillo of the 8400 block of New Hampshire Avenue. They’re charged with fatally shooting 22-year-old Carlos Sanchez-Cabrera of Merrimac Drive in […]
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google PlusVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On Linkedin