Murder charges dropped in Prince George’s County nightclub slaying

[Total: 0    Average: 0/5]

Prosecutors have now dropped all the murder charges stemming from a fatal shooting outside an Edmonston night club last March, saying that after they and police detectives completed their investigation, they simply could not prove who did what.

The upshot is this: no one is charged — or likely will ever be charged — with any type of homicide in the March 2011 shooting of 30-year-old Phillip J. Watson, who was gunned down in the parking lot of the Surf Club on Kenilworth Avenue after a fight inside. The man who police had initially accused of being the shooter — 25-year-old Malik Huff — did plead guilty to a first-degree assault charge, but that stemmed from the fight inside the club before the shooting, according to prosecutors and his defense attorney. He was sentenced to five years in prison Friday per his plea agreement, according to prosecutors and his defense attorney.

“The bottom line is we couldn’t prove who was responsible,” said John Erzen, a spokesman for Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks, “Basically, the assault charge is all that we were able to prove from the fight that happened inside the club.”

Erzen said prosecutors considered the case “done” and were not likely to charge anyone else with murder.

From the start, the court proceedings against Huff and his co-defendant, 25-year-old Frederick L. Scott, have been troubled. In November, Scott was mistakenly released on bond after courthouse clerks inadvertently put another man’s paperwork in his file. He was re-arrested later that month after he showed up — voluntarily — at a bond hearing.

Police and prosecutors had accused Scott of driving a car in the nightclub parking lot while Huff shot Watson, according to charging documents and Huff’s defense attorney. But on the third day of Huff’s jury trial last month, they dropped the murder charge against Scott and negotiated a deal with Huff — allowing him to plead guilty to first-degree assault in connection with the fight inside the club, said Andrew Jezic, Huff’s defense attorney.

Jezic said Huff, who had been facing a possible life sentence before the plea, agreed to spend five years in prison and was formally sentenced Friday. He said Huff also avoided prosecution on obstruction charges.

Jezic said Huff had “consistently” and “vehemently” maintained his innocence, and he was satisfied with the outcome.

“Mr. Huff is gratified that he has been, in effect, exonerated of any murder or gun charges,” Jezic said.

Scott’s defense attorney could not immediately be reached for comment Friday night.



FREE CONSULTATION

(240)292-7200

Locations

Awards

  • Wanted Wednesday
    Burglary InvestigationWe’re starting Wanted Wednesday this week with our search for a suspect who used a large piece of concrete or rock to smash in a window at a business. The suspect then stole cash and cigarettes from the convenience store in the 800 block of Southern Avenue in Oxon Hill. This happened on June […]
  • Suspects Linked to 10 Robberies Facing Charges
    Four suspects are charged in connection with armed robberies in Prince George’s County and are believed to be linked to several other such crimes in the region. Over the span of just four weeks, detectives believe these same suspects targeted 10 separate 7-Elevens in three counties. The convenience stores are in Prince George’s County, Anne […]
  • Theft Suspects Target Victim at Medical Office Building
    Detectives today released surveillance video of three suspects wanted in connection with a theft and the use of a stolen credit card. The preliminary investigation reveals the suspects targeted the victim while she was visiting a medical office building at 7350 Van Dusen Road in Laurel. The theft occurred on May 15th. Detectives believe additional […]
  • WANTED WEDNESDAY
    Surveillance Video of Suspect Committing Armed RobberyOur Robbery Unit detectives are working to identify and arrest this man. He’s wanted in connection with two armed robberies in the past week. In this surveillance video, the suspect is seen walking into a business in the 7900 block of Annapolis Road in Lanham on June 8th at […]
  • PGPD Searches For Missing Man
    George Johnson Sr.The Prince George’s County Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in searching for a missing man. He is 66-year-old George Johnson Sr.Johnson was last seen in the 9300 block of Grandhaven Avenue in Upper Marlboro on February 26th at about 11:30 pm.Johnson is described as an African American male, 6’00” and 150 pounds. He […]
  • The Signs Are Up! Thieves Should Consider Themselves Warned
    SmartWater Neighborhoods Are On Display  This weekend, multiple communities throughout Prince George’s County  displayed warning signs to would-be-thieves. These signs clearly identify that SmartWater technology is in use throughout the community. The technology, created by SmartWater out of the United Kingdom,  allows residents to mark their personal belongings with a liquid containing a unique forensic code.Once […]
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google PlusVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On Linkedin